Saturday, June 29, 2013

One more amazing discovery...

Sometimes the best discoveries are the ones you were never looking for in the first place.... Since my great uncle, Mully, is still alive B"H, he gave us the address for my grandmother's house which is how we found the exact apartment in Sosnowiec.  But there is no one left from my grandfather's family to give any information so we had accepted that we would never find the house where my grandfather grew up.  
We were surprised enough when we found the documents of my grandfather's birth registration at the Sosnowiec archives.  But the information in the document was just as compelling.  One of the things it specified about my grandfather was that he was circumcised and not of the Christian faith - which we found fascinating.  It also told us that my grandfather's father, David, was a teacher of religious studies, something else we didn't know.  But the best discovery written in the document was - to our utter and complete surprise - my grandfather's home address, 70 Warsawska Street, which coincidentally is the same street name where my grandmother lived in Sosnowiec!
So of course, off we went....
Unfortunately, we found number 68 and 72, but where number 70 should have been, there was an empty lot.... A bit of a letdown but at least we had a better idea of where my grandfather came from....

Here is the street sign located a few meters from where my grandfather's house once stood....

No comments:

Post a Comment